Today’s Zip Corvette technical question comes from a 1967 Corvette owner:
I own a 1967 Corvette convertible. When I turn on the radio, my dash lights go out immediately. FUSE BLOWN! I have checked most of the wiring for bare wires, but no luck to date. Would it be something in the radio itself? It is an original radio and it has never been touched. Thanks, I really miss those dash lights.
Answer: With electrical issues, it can be very difficult to find the culprit. However, with the symptoms you described, I would lean towards a short in your Corvette’s radio. You have an interior light that is inside the radio on a midyear Corvette and I feel confident that you have a short in that circuit. The fact that the radio has not been rebuilt also makes me think the radio is the problem because it is 41 years old. The life span that GM put on the wiring in the car was originally 10 years, so I can’t imagine that it was much more or even less from the other components in the car. I think it would be best to have the radio restored. Then, you may want to consider replacing your Corvette’s wiring harness if that has not already been done.
Do you have a Corvette technical question that you need answered?
Click here to submit your question.